***We provide onsite Computer Repair and Network Support for home and business in VA, MD and DC. Please, call us toll free 877-433-5222 or fill out the Service Request Form to schedule an appointment. We have put a blog below that you may find useful knowledge about computers, services and products.***
Alexandria Virginia (VA) Computers And College Students – Laptops Vs. Desktops For College Students, Alexandria Virginia (VA)
In college life today, having a computer just isn’t an option anymore. Students use computers for a number of things such as communicating with professors, registering for classes, writing papers, putting together multimedia presentations, and research, among many other things.
Here at Geek ABC we work hard to provide you with quality information to help you make the right computer (PC) decisions. We can be reached via our website www.geekabc.com, or give us a call at 1.877.GEEKABC (1.877.433.5222). Geek ABC is a computer repair and service company that provides same-day, mobile, onsite computer support and repair for residential and business customers throughout the Washington DC Metropolitan area.
As I talked about in my previous blog, Desktops Vs. Laptops, each have their Pros and Cons. I think, in general, the same rules apply as far as college students go, but the biggest differences are as follows:
- Extremely Portable – You can take them to class, library, and study groups for note taking
- Easy to take home on the weekend for working on papers and assignments
- Increased wireless capabilities
- They take up less space in your already cramped dorm room
- They are easily lost or stolen
- If you aren’t careful they can be easily damaged
- In class they can be distracting, i.e. Facebook, IM’ing
- When you need to upgrade anything it’s expensive or you have to just replace the entire machine
- More expensive than a destop
- They are less likely to be stolen
- Easier to customize when you need to upgrade
- Easier to use overall
- Bigger screen and keyboard makes it easier to use and less stress on your eyes and hands
- Less expensive than a laptop
- They take up a lot of space in your already cramped dorm room.
- You can’t haul them to class with you
- Can’t take them home on the weekend
Again, there are a lot of things to look at when you are buying a computer and especially if you are a student. You need to take all things in to consideration. First considering your budget, there’s not sense in spending more than you need, you are already probably going in to debt with your student loans.