***We provide onsite Computer Repair and Network Support for home and business in VA, MD and DC. Please, call us toll free 877-433-5222 or fill out the Service Request Form to schedule an appointment. We have put a blog below that you may find useful knowledge about computers, services and products.***
Arlington, Virginia (VA) Computer Network Security – Arlington, Virginia (VA) Home Computer Network Security
Home Computer Network Security is a big issue these days. Computer networks are becoming more and more popular due to fact that we tend to have more than one computer in the home or workplace and specifically our need for mobility. Who doesn’t want to be able to use their laptop in every room of the house without having to have a direct wire to the modem or router?
Having a home computer network doesn’t necessarily come easy, you have to make sure that your networks are secure and do everything you can to make it virtually impossible for intruders to get in. If you have a home network set up and need help with security, Geek ABC’s computer geeks are here to help, you can reach us via our website, www.geekabc.com, or give us a call at 1.877.GEEKABC (1.877.433.5222) to schedule an appointment. We provide same day, mobile, onsite network support and repair services for residential and business customers in the Washington, DC Metropolitan area.
These days we use our computers for just about everything online such as shopping, banking, and keeping in touch with our family, friends, and coworkers through email and chat programs. And even though we don’t necessarily view these communications as “classified”, we don’t really want just anybody reading our emails or chat sessions, or even worse, someone hacking in to our system and obtaining access to our banking and credit card information which can lead to identity theft.
There are a number of things you can do to secure your home network and keep you safe from viruses, malware, spyware which all can lead to an eventual computer crash and hackers which can steal our information and possibly our identities. Having proper network security will also prevent others from logging in and using your network to gain access to the internet without permission.
Here are a few things you can do to help insure that your computer (pc) is protected (in no specific order):
- Make sure that you have some version of antivirus software installed on your computer. And just having the program is not enough, you have to run frequent scans and keep your virus definitions up to date.
- Create “strong passwords” when you are creating any of the passwords for your computer or online.
- Use a firewall.
- Don’t run or open programs of an unknown origin. Unless the program is authored by a company or person you trust, don’t run/open it. It could contain what is called a “trojan horse program”.
- Turn off your computer or network when it’s not in use.
- Make sure that you encrypt your router. There are various types of encryption options available, it’s best to look at the manual and choose the one that works best for you!
Geek ABC offers onsite computer repair for Home and Business computer customers in the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area. We serve customers and clients in Virginia (VA), Maryland (MD) and Washington, DC in areas such as Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax, McLean, Great Falls, Oakton, Springfield, Vienna, Bethesda, Silver Spring, Germantown, Rockville, Olney, Potomac, Chevy Chase and Washington DC.