***We provide onsite Computer Repair and Network Support for home and business in VA, MD and DC. Please, call us toll free 877-433-5222 or fill out the Service Request Form to schedule an appointment. We have put a blog below that you may find useful knowledge about computers, services and products.***
Securing Your Computer – Ways To Secure Your Computer, Beltsville, Brandywine, Capitol Heights & Lanham Maryland (MD)
This article will show you some of the ways on how to secure your computer from some of the commone everyday threats. Securing your computer is not a difficult task, but a necessary one that is often overlooked quite often. Doing so will almost certainly provide you the best protection further down the road against viruses, spyware, Trojan horses, computer worms, and other outside threats that can harm your computer.
Without taking these precautions, hackers can easly access to your computer records, personal information and make changes to your computer that might cause it to stop working. Not taking these safety measures is like leaving the front door of your house open while you leave on vacation. Once others become aware of this absurd mistake, they would steal all your valuables and personal information in a matter of minutes. Not only will all your valuables be gone but in the process they might even destroy your home.
Here in this article are the four of the major programs that will answer the question of how to secure your computer and protect your computer from these everyday rising internet threats. These programs will give you the best security blanket that any home computer user can find.
The listed programs are very simple to install and they will run silently in the background without interrupting you. Best part is that they are completely free of charge for a residential computer user and also they are very well proven programs with a great background record that are regularly mainlined with updates almost every day.
• Windows Firewall
- In reference to the example above, a firewall would be like a locked door which without a key there is no access.
Basically a firewall is a barrier that is placed between your computer and the rest of the world (internet). Its primary function is to block of intruders from entering into your computer. The firewall is the very basic first line of defense against any sort of malicious activity, whether it is viruses or spyware. The job it performs is basic yet it is mandatory for every computer. With that in mind isn’t more difficult for someone to get in your house if the door is locked to being with. This very same concept applies to your computer; this is why this is the basic level of protection.
• Windows Update
- This program would be like upgrading your entry doors for stronger ones. This is a service provided by Microsoft that provides updates for the Microsoft windows operating system and its installed components, including internet explorer and Microsoft office and live applications. It also provides security updates or critical updates which eliminate vulnerability to know malware and security exploits. Other updates which correct error and enhance the functionality are also included along with them. The useful feature can configured to install critical updates automatically so long as the computer is connected to the internet, once set this is done without the user needing to install them manually, or need to worry if an update is required.
• Microsoft Security Essentials
- The houses level of protection can be increased by installing security bars around the windows.
Microsoft security essential is a free download provided by Microsoft that is easy to use and install, and is kept up to date so you can be assured your computer is protected. Once installed it is easy to tell if your pc is protected, when you’re green, you’re good. It runs quietly and efficiently without hogging too many resources, runs in the background so that you are free to use your computer as you’re please without any interruptions. It adds another layer of protection around your computer. It regularly scans your computer and removes harmful programs and reports any unusual activity.
• Secunia Software Inspector
- Your last defensive measure is to use cameras throughout your home to monitor for unwelcomed visitors. Secunia Online Software Inspector is a fast way to scan your PC for the most common programs and vulnerabilities, thus checking if your computer has the minimum security baseline against known patched vulnerabilities. Some of its features include; detects insecure versions of common/popular programs installed on your PC, verifies that all Microsoft patches are applied, assists you in updating, patching , and protecting your pc. Activates additional security features in Sun Java. Runs through your browser, No installation or download required. It provides total protection of all the programs on your computer by keeping them updated or patched.
The use of these four programs combined will give you the best protection available for home users. Will they protect you against every threat out there? No. There isn’t any program that works perfectly. But, the combination of these four programs working together will give you the best protection possible.
Here at Geek ABC we want you to feel safe when using your computer. Securing your computer and it’s Data is very important. If you have any questions about this topic we can be reached via our website www.geekabc.com, or give us a call at 1.877.GEEKABC (1.877.433.5222). Geek ABC is a computer repair and service company that provides same-day, mobile, onsite computer support and repair for residential and business customers throughout the Washington DC Metropolitan area.