***We provide onsite Computer Repair and Network Support for home and business in VA, MD and DC. Please, call us toll free 877-433-5222 or fill out the Service Request Form to schedule an appointment. We have put a blog below that you may find useful knowledge about computers, services and products.***
Chevy Chase And Potomac Maryland (MD) Online Shopping – Safety Tips For Shopping, Online Chevy Chase And Potomac Maryland (MD)
With the Holidays just around the corner, we are all rushing around trying to get our holiday shopping done and over with. But who wants to spend the little time they have in over crowded shopping malls with other crazy holiday shoppers? Not me. Over the past few years I have discovered the wonderful world of online shopping and it makes my shopping experience so much easier and it gives me more time to spend with my family around the holidays. The only problem with shopping online is the safety factor. And even though major retailers do everything they can to make sure that we have a safe online shopping experience, online consumers can easily fall victim to various kinds of deception, including identity theft. When shopping online there are a few safety rules that you should be aware of:
- Try not to keep any personal or financial information stored on your computer, including account passwords. It’s better to store this information on some form of removable storage device such as a thumb drive or external hard drive, and make sure that you keep the files encrypted.
- Don’t give your personal or financial information to online vendors unless you are absolutely certain that the company and person you are dealing with is legitimate.
- Wherever possible, use secure payment services such as PayPal.
- Use a credit card over a debit card and try to keep all of your purchases on one card. This way it is easier to keep track of your purchases and if you do fall victim to any sort of theft only one account is affected and it is much easier to dispute.
- Make sure that you are using antivirus software and keep them up-to-date.
- If you have ever noticed, when shopping online, some websites have a lock icon in the status bar. If it seems locked, this is a secure website; if it is unlocked it is not secure. Make sure that when you are submitting info online that the lock icon is locked. You can also double click this icon to get that web page’s security details.
- Another way to tell if a site is secure or not is in the URL itself. If it starts with https://, you are on a secured page; if the URL starts with http://, you’re not.
Here at Geek ABC we want you to have a pleasant experience on the internet, you can never be too careful when shopping online. Geek ABC is a locally owned and operated computer and network service and repair company. Our computer geeks have expertise in, but not limited to, desktop and laptop computer repair, emergency data recovery, data transfer and backup, virus and spyware removal, network installation and repair (both wired and wireless), software and hardware install and upgrades, as well as remote tech support and one-on-one training. Geek ABC services the entire Washington DC Metro Area in cities such as Rockville, Chevy Chase, Potomac and more. We can be reached via our website www.geekabc.com, or give us a call at 1.877.GEEKABC (1.877.433.5222) for more information or to set up an appointment.
HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY HOLIDAY!!